Our critics have been hard at work reviewing the latest films. Here is a look at what’s coming out this weekend (in select cities, check your local listings) and what else may be in theaters right now.
Opening: June 19-21, 2015
Wide (United States)
Limited (United States)
- Excerpt: an ambitious effort, the chronicling of an era through a musical niche, but its scope and structure plunge story and character elements deep in the mix.
Infinitely Polar Bear
- Excerpt: Eventually, The Overnight does have something to say about how we codify sex into orientations and preferences and about the moralities we concoct because of that. But then the movie reminds you that it all really comes down to Alex’s insecurity about having a small dick.
- Excerpt: I haven’t laughed out loud so long and often at any comedy so far this year.
2015 Films In Theaters Now In Select Areas
The 11th Hour
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Back to the Jurassic
- Excerpt: Moore is one of the weakest U.S. Presidents ever to grace the big screen, getting driven around the Finnish wilderness and fed by a thirteen year-old boy, not knowing how to use a gun, taking punches without mustering up the strength to fight back, and finally, getting stuffed into an ice box and helicoptered through the forest. What a wimp!
- Excerpt: Those who enjoyed his second [“The Overnight”], a comedy, will be surprised to see how much of it exists in his first, a found footage horror film. It’s as if Brice followed the same template in different genres and, remarkably, both work on their own merits.
The Face of an Angel
- Excerpt: A filmmaker hired to do a quick true-crime flick about a sordid Amanda Knox-like murder case prevaricates and ultimately gives up, much like the film itself, an unusually wan effort from Michael Winterbottom.
Far from the Madding Crowd
Felix and Meira
- Excerpt: Sensual and satirical, making your mouth water for – fresh, flaky croissants!
Gett: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem
Hot Girls Wanted
- Excerpt: If nothing else, “Hot Girls Wanted” is instructional on a real-world level about the risks and minimal rewards of Internet porn.
Insidious Chapter 3
Love & Mercy
Mad Max: Fury Road
- Excerpt: a fine film. But just fine. How disappointing when it had the pieces to be so much more.
- Excerpt: Nearly the only good thing about this stultifying David Gordon Green piece about an old jerk played by Al Pacino is the gritty, poetic title, promising a depth that never materializes.
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
- Excerpt: Nina Hoss is the bauss. The ever-enigmatic German actress gives a powerhouse performance as Nelly, the fiercely seductive survivor of Christian Petzold’s post-war drama Phoenix.
Set Fire to the Stars
Testament of Youth
The Wanted 18
Mathieu Li-Goyette @ Panorama-cinéma [French]
We Are Still Here
Welcome to Me
When Marnie Was There
Woman in Gold
The Yes Men Are Revolting
- Excerpt: Then, again, so are many corporations.
2014 Films In Theaters Now In Select Areas
Elsa & Fred
José M. Robado @ CineCrítico [Spanish]
2015 Films (Coming Soon)
16 Years till Summer
The Babushkas of Chernobyl
Day Out of Days
- Excerpt: Deathgasm’ is the demonic heavy metal horror flick you’ve been waiting your whole life for, or at least I have.
Generation Baby Buster
Diego Salgado @ Guía del Ocio [Spanish]
Holding the Man
Last Cab to Darwin
The Mystery of Happiness
Samuel Castro @ Ochoymedio.info [Spanish]
- Excerpt: Daniel Burman vuelve a hacernos preguntas de adultos, aunque las formula sin mucho orden ni sentido.