Our critics have been hard at work reviewing the latest films. Here is a look at what’s coming out this weekend (in select cities, check your local listings) and what else may be in theaters right now.
Opening: Jan. 22-24, 2016
Wide (United States)
The 5th Wave
Limited (United States)
Ip Man 3
- Excerpt: Ip Man 3 continues the pattern of interrupting what could be thought-provoking marital arts drama with the absurd by casting Mike Tyson as the behind the scenes villain who is even outacted by Ip Man’s wooden kung-fu practice contraption.
- Excerpt: There’s a kind of grace in Yen’s movements that makes me think of Gene Kelly.
- Excerpt: The opening prepares us for an arduous journey of revenge and one-upmanship where two men are fiercely driven to destroy the other rather than survive themselves. Instead it’s a tonally out there character study as divisive as The Counselor and almost as oddly eccentric.
2015 & 2016 Films In Theaters Now In Select Areas
3 1/2 Minutes, Ten Bullets
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi
Band of Robbers
- Excerpt: It sounds awful, like yet another delayed-sequel/origin-story/cinematic-universe Product from an art form bent on telling “new” stories based on familiar elements. So maybe it’s due to mere expectation that ‘Band of Robbers’ is so wonderful – sharp, funny, big-hearted, and absolutely true to the spirit of the author in question.
The Big Short
- Excerpt: Science fiction becomes reality in this funny and disturbing collection of filmed techno-history
The Final Girls
The Hateful Eight
Hotel Transylvania 2
Jem and the Holograms
The Lady in the Van
No Home Movie
- Excerpt: those willing to submit to the filmmaker’s vision may be surprised that a film consisting of minutes-long takes of barren, arid landscapes, her mother’s Brussels apartment and the occasional conversation can have such a powerful emotional build.
Norm of the North
The Peanuts Movie
A Perfect Day
Ricki and the Flash
Ride Along 2
Son of Saul
Straight Outta Compton
- Excerpt: Don’t expect a big payoff in Corneliu Porumboiu’s long-build satire about some hapless diggers for buried treasure; the journey is the joke here.
The Vatican Tapes
- Excerpt: While this is extremely universal in its message, it’s very much a re-tread of topics covered at great length in previous films.
- Excerpt: A poignant story of a traditional, peaceful and productive way of live ripped apart by drugs and politicians.
Where to Invade Next
2016 Films (Coming Soon)
- Excerpt: Surprise film at Canada’s Top Ten has enormous visual power.