Our critics have been hard at work reviewing the latest films. Here is a look at what’s coming out this weekend (in select cities, check your local listings) and what else may be in theaters right now.
Opening: May 22-24, 2015
Wide (United States)
Limited (United States)
- Excerpt: Writer/director Claudia Llosa’s rumination on art and nature as healing tools is a pretty abstraction where supporting players come into sharper focus than its leads…”Aloft” never takes wing.
- Excerpt: simply spectacular
2015 Films In Theaters Now In Select Areas
The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared
- Excerpt: Drama this easy stands to benefit greatly from dominating performances, and Dastmalchian (who wrote the script) and Shaw make an honest effort; one suspects they’ve gone outright Method in inhabiting their characters’ lanky, jittery physicalities. But the barrage of banalities that floods Dastmalchian’s screenplay too frequently finds its way out of the actors’ mouths without having made the leap from something written to something lived.
Vadym Grygoriev @ kinoblog.com [Ukrainian]
The D Train
Dark Star: HR Giger’s World
The Divergent Series: Insurgent
Echoes of War
Every Secret Thing
- Excerpt: Flimsy, foreboding, female-centric crime thriller…
- Excerpt: A slow burn mystery in which the secrets aren’t so much about the crimes it explores but truths of women’s emotional lives that are too often ignored.
Felix and Meira
I’ll See You in My Dreams
Mad Max: Fury Road
- Excerpt: As its title indicates, this is a straight-up inspirational tale, but its sincerity and above-average execution set it apart from many other similar movies.
- Excerpt: ‘Phoenix’ takes a dual meaning when a woman is reincarnated after a disfiguring incident and finds her estranged husband employed at a nightclub of the same name.
Pitch Perfect 2
Run All Night
- Excerpt: Shallow and ill-fitting – at 2 1/2 hours in length, it gets truly tedious – unless you’re a fashion junkie.
The Salt of the Earth
Shaun the Sheep Movie
- Excerpt: Divertida e ingeniosa, pero no es lo mejor de la Aarmand.
- Excerpt: The film gives us a string of encounters that share certain characteristics and that all repeat the idea of de-romanticizing the myth of the West.
- Excerpt: Whether the hallucinatory beauty of the visuals is enough to compensate for its narrative pretensions us…doubtful.
The True Cost
Welcome to Me
2014 Films In Theaters Now In Select Areas
The Imitation Game
A Most Wanted Man
The Theory of Everything
2015 Films (Coming Soon)
- Excerpt: Doc follows the ‘James Bond of Ghanaian journalism’
Pepe Mujica: Lessons from the Flowerbed
- Excerpt: Cinematically, Heidi Specogna’s documentary doesn’t deliver anything new. But it nevertheless works as an intimate portrait of former Uruguayan president José Mujica, who sweetly, and passionately, argues for a pragmatic form of socialism.
Sicarivs: La Noche y el Silencio
Diego Salgado @ Guía del Ocio [Spanish]
Walking on Sunshine
Dragan Antulov @ FAK [Croatian]