Our critics have been hard at work reviewing the latest films. Here is a look at what’s coming out this weekend (in select cities, check your local listings) and what else may be in theaters right now.
Opening: Jan. 17-19, 2014
Wide (United States)
Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit
The Nut Job
Expanding (United States)
12 Years a Slave
August: Osage County
Limited (United States)
2014 Films In Theaters Now In Select Areas
The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box
Interior. Leather Bar.
The Legend of Hercules
The Truth About Emanuel
2013 Films In Theaters Now In Select Areas
The Banshee Chapter
- Excerpt: If you have a passion either for paranormal culture or for anything [Hunter S.] Thompson-related, ‘Banshee Chapter’ may be worthwhile; for those without a particular interest in these subject, however, it’s not a wild enough ride to justify buying a ticket.
- Excerpt: The true power of Blue Ruin is its ability to find tension in the little things, not showy acts of violence.
The Great Beauty
Inside Llewyn Davis
- Excerpt: Burns has overcome a lot of hardship in his life, and his story is truly inspiring, but not everybody’s story needs to be a movie.
Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters
Saving Mr. Banks
Short Term 12
Terms and Conditions May Apply
Walking with Dinosaurs
2014 Films (Coming Soon)
- Excerpt: Not the strongest film in the world, but a film of notable production value and spirit.
Police Story 2013
- Excerpt: A sequel in name only to Jackie Chan’s hugely popular action series, this latest offering moves proceedings to mainland China for a small scale, straight-faced and relatively thrill-free drama with a tendency to pontificate about civil responsibility.
Tom Yum Goong 2
- Excerpt: Tony Jaa reunites with the team that helped make his name in the martial arts world, but both he and co-star Jeeja Yanin are eclipsed by impressive up-and-comer Marrese Crump in this otherwise underwhelming action sequel.
Venus in Fur
José Arce @ LaButaca.net [Spanish]
- Excerpt: Roman Polanski se lanza a un texto tan clásico como polémico acompañado de tan sólo dos actores y un escenario embriagador. Una película turbulenta, sórdida, inquietante, desde luego; pero también divertida, amena y en ocasiones rayana en lo hilarante.