OFCS members don’t just write film reviews. Here are several articles you might find interesting.
Best of Lists
10 Actors Who Almost Played Famous Roles
- Excerpt: I take at a look some of the biggest roles in movie and TV history that were almost played by someone else entirely.
Take 5… Carey Mulligan Performances
- Excerpt: To celebrate the release of Far From the Madding Crowd, I rundown the top 5 performances by the Oscar-nominated Carey Mulligan.
- Excerpt: Rifftrax co-host Bill Corbett talks The Room
Festivals: General Coverage
Day One of the Julien Dubuque International Film Fest
Hot Docs 2015: Festival Wrap-up and ‘Best of the Fest’
- Excerpt: Top picks for Hot Docs include ‘What Happened, Miss Simone?’, ‘Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck’, ‘Listen to Me Marlon’ and more!
What is the Julien Dubuque International Film Festival?
Festivals: Individual Reviews
Chicago Critics Film Festival: Restoration / Midnight Insanity short film program
Hot Docs Review: ‘A Woman Like Me’
- Excerpt: As Sichel and Taylor both throw themselves into the rich, raw, and real performances of women treasuring their final days, A Woman Like Me puts documentary in dialogue with drama and creates a universal truth through the parallels in the forms: every life is amazing, no matter how long or how unfairly short it is.
Hot Docs Review: ‘All the Time in the World’
- Excerpt: Doc presents an idealized solution, albeit a sweetly sentimental one.
Hot Docs Review: ‘Listen to Me Marlon’
- Excerpt: The film fascinates as it puts viewers into the mind of the great method actor, for the film follows Brando’s own philosophy that an actor must become a character to portray him.
Hot Docs Review: ‘The Messenger’
- Excerpt: This one’s for the birds.
Hot Docs Review: ‘What Happened, Miss Simone?’
- Excerpt: This year’s festival boasts a strong crop of films about the arts and artists, as well as a significant field of work by female filmmakers. Liz Garbus’s spellbinding Nina Simone biography What Happened, Miss Simone? sits as one of the top titles in both fields at the festival.
Oscar Preview: Weekend of May 1-3, 2015
- Excerpt: A look at the Oscar chances for “Avengers: Age of Ultron”
Dancing on the Edge
- Excerpt: An exquisitely mounted miniseries about the interplay between a black jazz band and the upper crust of English society in the 1930s.
Keys to the Castle
Monday Memo: Hot Docs Wraps
The Morning After: May 4, 2015
- Excerpt: A short review of “Aveners: Age of Ultron”
Top Film Comedians
- Excerpt: A very funny discussion among three comedy experts, who reveal their picks for top film comedians of the past and present.