OFCS members don’t just write film reviews. Here are several articles you might find interesting.
Clouds of Sils Maria
Jason Sudeikis, Charlie Day and Jason Bateman
Madeleine Harris and Samuel Joslin
Festivals: Individual Reviews
Black Mountain Side
- Excerpt: More than a retread of The Thing, It’s a fine specimen of “cosmic horror” that replaces paranoia with outright madness.
- Excerpt: Cyprus’s entry in the European Union Film Festival is an odd novelty.
- Excerpt: The Greek offering at Ottawa’s European Union Film Festival is a nice tale of unspoken love.
Starz Denver Film Festival 2014: Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter
Starz Denver Film Festival 2014: Man from Reno
Starz Denver Film Festival 2014: Norway
- Excerpt: If you only have time in your life to see one disco vampire movie in this lifetime, Norway is the one to see.
The Morning After: Nov. 24, 2014
- Excerpt: Short Review of “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1”
The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Review: “Crossed” Sets Up Conflict In More Ways Than One
- Excerpt: …in the last moment the show reminds you that this is going to be big and violent and messy as hell.
Is Television Sacrificing Its Golden Age to the Closed Loop of Pop Culture?
- Excerpt: Popular culture has always, to some extent, existed within its own echo chamber, but in the current climate, it’s hard to find anything that’s genuinely original, that’s not based, to some extent, on some other thing.
What Google’s New Study Tells Us About Why People Go to the Movies
- Excerpt: The Google study tells us little that we didn’t already know, but puts it in bold type: reviews don’t matter, and word-of-mouth, movie stars, and plot matter only a little more than that. What’s driving movie-going decisions — and thus, driving movie-making decisions — is marketing and hype.
What’s Up Doc?
- Excerpt: Turkey or no turkey, these next couple of days lucky filmmakers who’ve been selected to screen as part of the Sundance Film Festival will get the invitation notice straight from John Cooper and the Park City programming team, and thus, those that we’re betting have made the cut have also inched up the list a bit. One of those that seem an obvious choice to premiere at the fest is director Steve Hoover and producer Danny Yourd’s Crocodile Gennadiy.
Why Do We Call Movie Previews “Trailers”?
- Excerpt: How is it that the most commonly used term for them has exactly the opposite connotative meaning? Well, as with so many things in this fine language of ours, the term we use today was once accurate, is no longer so, and we just never fixed the damn thing.
Reviews of Short Films
Paulo Peralta @ CinEuphoria [Portuguese]
- Excerpt: Portuguese Short Film Review
Eight Horror Movies By Non-Horror Directors
Oscar Preview: Weekend of Nov. 21-23, 2014
- Excerpt: Looking at the Oscar chance for “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1”