Reviews for this film from our members:
- Marco Albanese @ Stanze di Cinema [Italian]
- Excerpt: Ottima la direzione dei giovani protagonisti su cui spicca la bionda “all american” Maika Monroe, già vista in At Any Price. La colonna sonora di Rich Vreeland è un capolavoro a sè: oscura, inquietante, evocativa di tutto un mondo di suoni elettronici, rumori di fondo, echi lontani, che mette i brividi.
- José Arce @ LaButaca.net [Spanish]
- Excerpt: Fabuloso terror de David Robert Mitchell que mantiene al espectador en un hipnótico estado de tensión constante difícil de repetir. Un homenaje al género eterno con personalidad propia, un thriller dramático-horroroso sencillamente imprescindible.
- Kevin Carr @ 7M Pictures
- Excerpt: Even when you strip away the subtext and symbolism, “It Follows” is just a genuinely creepy movie.
- Laura Clifford @ Reeling Reviews
- Excerpt: David Robert Mitchell pulls off a tricky balance with his ingenious response to 80’s horror films where teenage sex meant death and monsters walked leafy suburban streets in broad daylight by presenting his original, nightmarish idea via an homage to John Carpenter.
- Jim Dixon @ Examiner.com
- Mark Dujsik @ Mark Reviews Movies
- Excerpt: It Follows is as scary as it is because, in part, it doesn’t try to be scary.
- James Jay Edwards @ FilmFracture
- Excerpt: It Follows’ Throws Back To The Teen Horrors Of Yesteryear – And It Scares The Hell Out Of You, Too
- Hugo Gomes @ http://cinematograficamentefalando.blogs.sapo.pt [Portuguese]
- Roderick Heath @ Ferdy on Films
- Excerpt: It Follows feels unique, a contemporary horror film that feels even more connected with a type of haunting tale from the pages of musty Victoriana and the echoes of classical mythology.
- Mark Hobin @ Fast Film Reviews
- Excerpt: The production is a testament to how important cinematography and music are able to easily evoke a mood.
- Rob Hunter @ Film School Rejects
- MaryAnn Johanson @ FlickFilosopher.com
- Excerpt: Wait. Really? Horror movies are still doing the punishing-girls-for-having-sex thing? Ah, but this is 80s retro, so it’s “okay,” then.
- Charlie Juhl @ Citizen Charlie
- Excerpt: It Follows is one of the best horror films in last few years and is destined to achieve cult classic status
- Jeremy Kibler @ The Artful Critic
- Excerpt: Smartly executed, dread-filled and supremely unsettling, teen horror indie “It Follows” couples a timeless, naturalistic mood of teenage yearning with an inescapable doom. Run, don’t walk.
- Greg Klymkiw @ The Film Corner
- Excerpt: Though the movie doesn’t quite go into the sickeningly, darkly hilarious territory of David Cronenberg’s Shivers (which also featured a sexually transmitted horror), It Follows is a solidly directed shocker with plenty of homages to John Carpenter’s output from the late 70s to early 80s.
- Daniel Lackey @ The Nightmare Gallery
- Excerpt: Despite a willingness to poke at and dissect the occasional trope here or there, It Follows bears very little resemblance to its assumed slasher/teen-screamer forebears.
- Glenn Lovell @ CinemaDope.com
- Excerpt: The fright film du jour is both cautionary teen allegory and unnerving blend of ‘Blue Velvet’ and the underground ‘Deadgirl’ … an instant cult classic!
- [New – 12/17/15] | Alan Mattli @ The Zurich English Student
- Excerpt: On the visible surface, it always remains a brilliant, hair-raising horror mood piece, whose more conventional scares work, and stay, in the moment. But the questions that follow stick around for a good long while.
- Mike McGranaghan @ The Aisle Seat
- Excerpt: Bold, provocative, original, artfully made, perfectly acted, and creepy as hell.
- Matthew McKernan @ FilmWhinge
- Excerpt: Not a flawless film, but a well-made and thought-provoking one.
- Jared Mobarak @ BuffaloVibe
- Jason Pirodsky @ Expats.cz
- Excerpt: The Ring meets… uh, Nymphomaniac…? in It Follows, the latest highly-praised horror film to work better as an all-too-obvious metaphor than a scary movie (in that regard, it follows last year’s The Babadook).
- Nuno Reis @ SciFiWorld Portugal [Portuguese]
- Excerpt: Talvez o mais curioso não seja a claustrofobia – por se precisar de espaços com espaço para correr e várias saídas – mas o contraste entre ter medo das pessoas e precisar delas para passar a maldição. Não é filme que assuste no momento, mas tem muito alimento para pesadelos por isso, preparem-se para serem perseguidos por alguns dias.
- Francis Rizzo III @ DVDTalk
- Excerpt: A terrifying start gives way to fatigue
- Jerry Roberts @ Armchair Cinema
- Excerpt: It Follows is built on a premise that is almost fatally ridiculous but you don’t mind so much because the movie is put together with breathtakingly ambitious filmmaking that evokes a sense of fear and terror even when nothing is happening. It takes it’s horror from the simple but unsettling notion that even when all is peaceful and calm, someone is watching.
- Marcio Sallem @ Em Cartaz [Portuguese]
- Amir Siregar @ Amir at the Movies [Indonesian]
- Sarah Ward @ Concrete Playground
- Andrew Wyatt @ Gateway Cinephile
- Excerpt: It Follows takes that which is subtext in most horror features and integrates it directly into the story: sex equals death. What’s impressive about Mitchell’s film is how this approach results not in a crude, exploitative treatment of adolescent sexuality, but an almost shockingly cerebral work of cinema.