Here’s what we’ve been watching on television.
- Excerpt: Younger children and people disturbed by graphic violence won’t be able to watch, but the rest of the family will find The Bible an interesting combination of the expected and unexpected.
Hemingway & Gellhorn
- Excerpt: I really have nothing nice to say about Hemingway & Gellhorn. It’s puffed-up and lazy and falsely provocative.
Kristen Schaal: Live at the Fillmore
- Excerpt: Shortly after the halfway point, the special becomes less a traditional stand-up act and more akin to performance art. Schaal convincingly pretends to stumble through some feeble jokes, repeatedly mispronouncing “airplane” and becoming increasingly preoccupied with getting a drink of water.
LEGO Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Out
- Excerpt: LEGO Star Wars seems to be aimed primarily at young Cartoon Network viewers who aren’t really crazy about Star Wars itself. Those versed in Lucas’ lore will appreciate the subtler jokes, some of which are kind of amusing.
Top of the Lake – Episode 4
- Excerpt: A brief flashback… refocuses TOP OF THE LAKE as the feminist thriller Jane Campion clearly meant it to be…