Here are our latest reviews of films on DVD.
Reviews of Classic Films
The Fisher King
- Excerpt: The multiple tones actually mesh surprisingly well, until the tale goes errant into the Realms of Rom-com, from whence no sane plot emerges unscathed.
- Excerpt: Jackson’s vision makes the film memorable, but Lynskey and Winslet made it possible; without their confident performances, simultaneously naive and knowing, overwrought and realistic, ‘Heavenly Creatures’ would have been doomed to failure.
Masters of the Universe (1987)
Nuno Reis @ SciFiWorld Portugal [Portuguese]
- Excerpt: Há um único motivo cinéfilo válido para ver este filme. É a facilidade em perceber a ténue fronteira entre o mau filme e o filme de culto.
A Place in the Sun
- Excerpt: [VIDEO ESSAY] Though the film’s predictable final act plays to Hays code tropes of the era, “A Place in the Sun” is a suspenseful drama sprinkled with equal parts social study, romantic melodrama, and a surreal pairing of Hollywood beauties.
- Excerpt: She remains visually impressive all the way through.
The Third Man
- Excerpt: This is one of the absolute classics of film noir. It spins a suspense story of pure evil, and does it with style.
Recent Home Video Releases
100 Bloody Acres
Dear White People
The Erotic Rites of Frankenstein
My Left Foot
Peralta Paulo @ CinEuphoria [Portuguese]
Song of the Sea
Other Reviews from 2012 and earlier
Angels Over Broadway
Enrique Buchichio @ Cartelera.com.uy [Spanish]
- Excerpt: A partir de una anécdota muy puntual se desata toda una tormenta cuyas ramificaciones tendrán un alcance trágico e impredecible. Con apenas cuatro películas hasta la fecha, Andrey Zvyagintsev es sin duda uno de los grandes cineastas de la actualidad.
The Lost World: Jurassic Park
- Excerpt: In the wake of Jurassic World’s frankly ludicrous success, I decided to revisit The Lost World for the first time since seeing it in the theatre some eighteen years ago to see if it was really as bad as I thought it was. Much like every character in the Jurassic Park series, I clearly have no concept of how bad an idea it is to keep messing with dinosaurs.
Mathieu Li-Goyette @ Panorama-cinéma [French]
- Excerpt: Cinema Fearité Presents ‘Without Warning’ – A Sci-Fi Twist On The Classic Camp Killer Motif