Here are our latest reviews of films on DVD.
Reviews of Classic Films
Beyond The Grave (2010)
- Excerpt: Bruegel couldn’t have captured the insanity better.
Hotel Terminus: The Life and Times of Klaus Barbie
- Excerpt: “Hotel Terminus” is a vigorous document made by a filmmaker (Marcel Ophuls) so hungry for satisfaction that every image and interview sequence spits with a personal sense of boiling outrage.
I Stand Alone
- Excerpt: [VIDEO ESSAY] “I Stand Alone” (Gaspar Noé’s feature debut) is as much a philosophical denunciation of humanity as it is a thought-provoking treatise on mental illness as a socially communicable disease.
Recent Home Video Releases
Massacre Mafia Style
Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb
- Excerpt: Like Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret of the Tomb successfully balances humor and action, with crisp pacing, terrific special effects, and an emotional core that keeps everything on-center. It looks amazing on Blu-ray, and the 7.1 soundtrack that really fills the room. Secret of the Tomb is a true family movie, and a truly successful one that should get plenty of replays.
Other Reviews from 2012 and earlier
Beast of the Bering Sea (aka Bering Sea Beast]
Gorillas in the Mist
- Excerpt: Cinema Fearité Presents ‘Grotesque’ – Linda Blair, Scary Punks, And The Halloween III Masks
- Excerpt: Lucille Ball bore some responsibility for the shambles that was Mame, but she was also the scapegoat to one lousy decision after another that doomed the film before cameras rolled.