Here are our latest reviews of films on DVD.
Reviews of Classic Films
Annie Hall: Woody Allen’s Best Picture Oscar for his First Masterpiece
- Excerpt: After several whimsical comedies, Woody Allen made his first great film in 1977, a bittersweet semi-autobiograhical chronicle of his doomed romance with Diance Keaton
- Excerpt: Despite the absurdity of the premise, Bruce Campbell’s alternate Elvis is a believable creation, half curmudgeon, half pickled charisma.
Carnival of Sinners
Dead Ringer (1964)
In Cold Blood
On The Edge (1986)
- Excerpt: [VIDEO ESSAY] Evocatively transgressive and subversively poetic, “Scorpio Rising” is a cinematic rebel yell against the fiercely anti-gay hypocrisies of American culture that still dog society in the 21st century.
The Timeless Groundhog Day
- Excerpt: This isn’t a redo … it’s a “one more.”
Recent Home Video Releases
- Excerpt: The Boxtrolls’ is very good, but misses the opportunity to be great.
Brotherhood of Blades
Other Reviews from 2012 and earlier
An American Hippie in Israel
- Excerpt: The Second Screen Experience Of ‘App’ – Technological Gimmick Or The Shape Of Cinema To Come?
Paulo Peralta @ CinEuphoria [Portuguese]
The Thomas Crown Affair
- Excerpt: Cinema Fearité Presents ‘The Uninvited’ – A Romantic-Comedy-Film-Noir-Mystery-Horror Ghost Story