Here are our latest reviews of films on DVD.
Reviews of Classic Films
The Passionate Thief
That Man Fom RIo
Recent Home Video Releases
50 to 1
- Excerpt: I liked it as much as Seabiscuit (2003) and Secretariat (2010).
Breakin’ / Breakin’ 2: Electric Boogaloo
- Excerpt: The brief, glorious heydey of breakdancing cinema
Gates of Heaven / Vernon, Florida
God Told Me To
Mad Max: Collector’s Edition
Monster High: Haunted
The Wicked Lady (1983)
Other Reviews from 2012 and earlier
- Excerpt: This is Lucio Fulci at his very best, but Fulci at his best is about the equivalent of Dario Argento at his worst.
Beyond the Black Rainbow
- Excerpt: Shamelessly allusive, sinfully trippy, ‘Beyond the Black Rainbow’ is a love letter to midnight movies of decades past, a hazy conjuration overseen by the guiding spirits of Stanley Kubrick, Ken Russell, and a thousand doped-up sci-fi dreamers, that somehow manifests its own unique vision.
- Excerpt: Cinema Fearité Presents ‘Blue Sunshine’ – Where An Acid Flashback Causes More Than Just A Bad Trip
China Is Near
- Excerpt: Not likely to surprise the average viewer, but plenty entertaining on its own terms.
A Distant Trumpet
Duel to the Death
Green for Danger
- Excerpt: The early scenes of Green For Danger are a master class in setting up a complex interaction of plot strands and human elements. The mechanics are readily familiar, obeying the basic precepts of whodunit detective fiction—setting up a cast of suspects, affording them all the opportunity for murder, bringing in a canny detective to disassemble the enigma—but the quiet excellence of the characterisation and the sharpness of the dialogue quickly nudge the film out of mere generic efficiency into something ebulliently enjoyable.